Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
double-click to edit, do not edit in source
The Zoom Waiting Room
Ideally speakers should join 15 minutes before the session start
- Once the meeting has started you will see two options
- Join Meeting as co-host
- Join Meeting as attendee
- If you are a speaker, join as co-host
- If you join as attendee you will need to be made co-host later
Security and Participant Settings
If you do encounter any problems like disruptive participants, please alert the live support team by clicking on the bottom right support widget. The live support team can hop in the room and monitor things while the session is in progress.
We recommend the following initial security settings: Mute Participants Upon Entry; Allow Participants to Rename Themselves; and Enable Waiting Room.
The participant settings can be managed via the Participant Icon
- Click on Participants and then “...” and Ensure that 'Allow Participants to Unmute Themselves' is unchecked
Hosts can also prevent participants from spamming the chat by clicking on the ellipsis and changing the security settings for chat participants.
- The chat feature can be used to communicate with attendees throughout the meeting.
- Hosts can select who to chat with, either everyone or a specific attendee privately, and can also upload files if it is enabled.
- Clicking the ellipses icon in the chat allows you to chose who people can chat with during the meeting.
Mute / Unmute Participants
If you do not allow them to unmute themselves, you can hover over a participants name and choose Ask to Unmute. This will allow them to speak freely.
- Click Share Screen in the Zoom Control panel to select what you wish to share
- If you plan to share a video clip or pre-recording of your session choose Share Computer Sound
- Do not click Optimize full screen video clip. This will compress your video and make it too choppy and make most text in a video illegible.
Screen Sharing Best Practices
- Before starting your broadcast close any other windows / tabs
- Close anything that might create a pop-up notification (Outlook, Teams, Slack, Skype)
- Practice sharing your screen with a partner or if you are practicing by yourself choose the Record option to watch how your presentation looks.
- Get a free Zoom account at https://zoom.us/signup
Set Your Virtual Background
- Click on the arrow next to Start Video and Choose Virtual Background
- The virtual background will work even if you don’t have a green screen. If you have a bookshelf or a lot of angles, the virtual background won’t work well.
- Please check our conference website for the official virtual backgrounds for download.
- By default the active speaker is shown
- Right click a speaker and choose Spotlight Video to keep focus on them. Right click again and choose Cancel Spotlight when done
- Polls can be setup in advance or during a meeting by the Primary Host
- Co-Hosts can launch polls.
- Click Polls, choose from available polls, then click Launch Polling
Special Feature: Breakout Rooms
- You can move people around by hovering over them and choosing Move to.
- Click Open All Rooms to move people into the breakout rooms.
- Note: Automatic recording does not work in breakout rooms
- You as the host can join any breakout room
- You can send a Broadcast Message to All Rooms
- You can also Close All Rooms to bring people back into the main room
- Participants in a breakout room can message the host as well by clicking the question mark.